Evesham Township, part of Burlington County, New Jersey, was established in 1688. At that time, the township included all of Mt. Laurel and Medford Townships and parts of Lumberton, Hainesport and Shamong Townships. Medford Township was partitioned from Evesham in 1847, Lumberton in 1860 and Mt. Laurel in 1872. In 1892 Evesham Township was incorporated. Today the township is bounded on the east by Medford Township, south and southwest by Camden County and on the north by Mt. Laurel Township.
The geography of the township has always differed substantially from south to north. The southern portion, part of the pinelands, has remained largely covered with pines and oaks growing in a gravelly sand while the northern area, with arable soil, has been introduced to agriculture , commerce, industry and substantial residential development. The northern part of Evesham continues to increase grow, linked closely to transportation routes to New York City and Philadelphia.